Monday, February 28, 2011

I am enjoying Lois Lowry's Number the Stars just as much now as I did in sixth grade! This was one of my favorite books as a child, partly because I remember my teacher being so enthusiastic about it. I will definitely include this novel in my curriculum whenever possible, and hopefully portray the same enthusiasm my sixth grade teacher did. This book is so easy to relate to, especially for children, which is another reason I enjoy it so much. However on my second read because I am older, I find myself relating more to Annemarie's parents than to Annemarie and Ellen. I cannot imagine being put in their situation with, say, the two little girls I babysit or my little cousins. I would not even know how to go about informing children of such a serious and dangerous event, but they seem to do it beautifully. In this sense then, Number the Stars offers young readers other children they can relate to (Annemarie and Ellen), and also wonderful role models (the girls' parents). The fact that a story of the Holocaust is told through the eyes of a young girl makes it so much less intimidating for our students. It informs them of how that terrible time affected children and young adults their own age, which can help them to comprehend much better than reading facts out of a history book. In my opinion, relating material to students' own lives will always improve their understanding and remembrance of it. Lowry also provides a glimpse of the Holocaust through the eyes of what could just as easily be these young readers' parents. I think making these connections when teaching a unit as serious and tough as the Holocaust can put the material on our students' level, and make it a little less scary to learn and discuss.


I looked online for ideas to teach Number the Stars in relation to the Holocaust. One website strongly suggested discussing with students the reoccurring Star of  David, and what it means to Jewish people. I think this is especially important, since it comes up many times in the novel and our students may not know a lot about the Jewish faith. Perhaps introducing the Jewish faith in general and major events and countries included in the Holocaust prior to reading the novel would be beneficial. In addition, Denmark may be a little known country to students in sixth or seventh grade. I remember wondering about characteristics of Copenhagen, Denmark in sixth grade. It is hard to understand the context of a story if the reader cannot grasp setting. One website offered this activity:

"1. Travel Brochure
Prepare a travel brochure using pictures found or drawn from Denmark to share with the class and encouraging people to visit this country after the war."
Some modifications could be made to this activity, such as half the class making a brochure of Denmark during the war, and half of post-war Denmark. Comparisons could then be made in class discussion. This would also be beneficial to students if completed prior to reading the novel, and help them to accurately imagine where Number the Stars takes place. 

5 comments:

  1. I love your travel brochure idea. The comparisons would be such an awesome idea and I think students would actually have fun! The discussions would probably be so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the point you made about how you relate to the novel differently now, how you related more to annemarie's parents. i had a similar experience when reading "The Catcher in the Rye" this semester. How differently i viewed Holden as an adult, as compaired to when i was a teen. I instantly thought of the possible challenges when teaching "Catcher in the Rye"... do i mention all the cries for help, and need for therapy for the protagonist that i see, or does that ruin the experience for the students who see him as brazen hero? is there room for both views? it's a similar predicement as that "lion king" article... is our job primarily to show the hidden truths, or is it to just let students enjoy literature? (sorry, i realize that has very little to do with what you actually wrote)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really interesting that you took on a different perspective now than you did when you were reading the first time. It's also great that this book is so appropriate for almost any student beyond the Elementary level, because it gives us a lot of opportunities as teachers to use it, taking advantage of the different perspectives.

    The travel brochure idea was so cute! I love adding creativity to the classroom so that would be an awesome assignment that would allow students in the English classroom to do more than read and write (the common misconception)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love your brochure idea!! I think that would be a fun classroom project. There are so many fun ways that that could be implemented in the classroom. Also that would be a wonderful cross curriculm idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Perhaps introducing the Jewish faith in general and major events and countries included in the Holocaust prior to reading the novel would be beneficial."

    I think this is a great idea! I myself don't know much about the Jewish religion, and think it would be beneficial for the holocaust and general knowledge.

    ReplyDelete