Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Stroll Down Mango Street

     I have been excited to read The House on Mango Street since the day I saw it on our reading list. I read it in my tenth grade Honors English and loved it! It was a breath of fresh air for me five years ago, just as it was this past week. In my tenth grade English class, it seemed unlikely and nontraditional to be reading a novel that, quite honestly, was so easy to get through. Placed amongst the classic texts of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Wuthering Heights, it was such an easy read. And again, this past week, I found myself reading The House on Mango Street before bed to help me relax. Hopefully when implemented in our classroom, Sandra Cisneros' witty and charming novel will have the same effect for our students. But does the fact that House on Mango Street is a short, easy read diminish its merit as a piece of literature? In my opinion, definitely not.
     I remember my tenth grade English teacher referring to the small chapters as vignettes, each one being its own little life story. We wrote our own vignettes throughout the course of reading the novel, which was a refreshing class activity. I think any time we can incorporate our students' own lives and stories into class activities, we should. It makes the activity more personal, meaningful, and relaxing to complete. Beyond all of the creative extensions House on Mango Street provides for us to do with students, it also offers an array of discussion and activities within the genre of multicultural literature. In fact, I think one of the vignettes I composed in tenth grade was about how my family celebrates a holiday according to our culture. Of course every holiday in my family is celebrated with a trip to church, a full table of food, and good beer and wine, fitting to the Irish Catholic demographic. But the point is, this came through in my vignette. We can offer students various activities that allow their own heritages to come through, just as Esperanza'a does through the entire novel. Some of these include constructing a family tree, and illustrating a room in their house that displays their own culture. Again, these activities are personal and so become meaningful, while also providing a reason to connect with family members and ask questions. The House on Mango Street also generates great class discussion, in which we as teachers could pose the question to each student, "What does your own culture and background really mean to you?" It is surprising to me that such a fun and relaxing read can supply us with so many windows of opportunity to explore with our students!

8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of having your students write their own personal "life vignettes."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you can take your experiences you did in high school (like writing your own vignettes) to what you can have your own students doing in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah.. students writing their own vignettes is an excellent activity. Like you mentioned, it gets students more involved and personally connected. Fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wrote: "But does the fact that House on Mango Street is a short, easy read diminish its merit as a piece of literature? In my opinion, definitely not."

    I like how you addressed the fact that even though "House on Mango Street" is short and fairly easy to read, it is an important piece of literature. My eyes have definitely been opened up in regard to what can be literature -- it's amazing how much material there is out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your love and excitement over HOMS. I personally found the book of litte value, aside from a few cute moments...i've been waiting for someone who loved the book to express it. I like your idea of using the book to inspire students to write their own vignette, based on family or culture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is a great idea to have student their own vignettes. This concept goes back to our classroom discussion on reader-response theory. Wherever teachers can make connections between a book and a students's life (culture in this case) then it makes the student understand the material better. Thank you for sharing that experience from your high school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having a student write their own vignette is a great idea!!! I think anyway we can have students connect to the text or a style of writing thay are going to bennifit. You have some fantastic teaching ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love the idea of having students write vignettes throughout the course of reading the novel. I also liked your ideas of constructing a family tree, illustrating a room in their house that displays their own culture, and posing the question, "What does your own culture and background really mean to you?" I agree that these activities make the book and its style personal. They also help us see the poetry, symbolism, and clarity of Cisneros's character portrayals. Great ideas... thanks!

    ReplyDelete