Monday, February 21, 2011

The Icing on the Cake: Ingredients of a Literature Circle

     I love Daniels' "Eleven Key Ingredients" to facilitating successful literature circles. They really highlight the positive aspects of lit circles in the classroom. The fact that number one is, "Students choose their own reading materials," shows just how student-centered this approach is (Daniels 18). I want students to love coming to my class every day; and what better way to achieve that great teacher-student relationship than by giving them freedom. In addition, another item on this list states that students extend their choice of reading by creating their own discussion topics. So not only can they choose their text, they can also highlight and discuss the sections and themes of it that interest them the most. I like how Daniels' suggests that groups be temporary. This gives students a chance to make a connection with many different classmates, and also to gain various perspectives and methods of learning from other students. 
     There is, however, one item on this list that remains a bit confusing to me. Number 8 states: "The teacher serves as a facilitator, not a group member or instructor" (Daniels 18). I find myself thinking I understand this concept, and then confusing myself all over again. To me, an instructor would assign discussion questions and walk around the room, hovering over students during class time. So I see why Daniels does not recommend this tactic. I have always thought a good way to go about group work, (as a teacher), though was to make your way around the classroom, joining each group as a contributing member for a few minutes. But Daniels' statement also disputes this idea. So how do I go about facilitating literature circles when I am a teacher? I really want to have a strong understanding of this approach because I think it could be such a fun and positive experience for my future students! 

6 comments:

  1. i think what he is suggesting, is that you are there to construct the foundation for the lit circle and are there to help manage the circles if a problem arrises. i.e. come up with a list of six novels for the kids to choose from, versus complete freedom over choice of novel; assign literary journals entries or something of the sort, to keep track of progress and for grading purposes; establish meeting times whether as part of class or afterclass, pose questions for groups who are having trouble deriving relavance from the text, etc... they are the drivers, but you are the road:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along with the student choice: Students enjoy being treated like adults; they don't like being treated like babies. This choice gives them a sense of freedom as well as independence, which are two great ingredients of having a nice relationship with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The facilitator... I have to agree with you on that one. I think that the teacher should be active in each of the literature circles as a group member... not the teacher. I think that this will increase students confidence because the teacher is making the same connections as them and is on the same page. Kind of like the idea with bringing in other adults into the lit circles... this could act in the same way if the teacher is willing to be part of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Along with Brian and Lauren I believe what Daniels is referring to is the idea that you should help the students forward in order to progress, that being giving them certain assignments, or ideas to think about while reading. Also your idea of sitting in on the students conversations when in the circles. This helps build student teacher relationship because you give your input and listen to theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think one of the biggest mistakes teachers can make with literature circles is "hovering." I remember having one teacher who would walk around to the different groups and she would take notes about discussions. It added an additional pressure of making sure that students didn't say the "wrong" thing or made a "stupid" comment. As teachers, we should be walking around to monitor students but only speak if the groups are off task (i.e. talking about the weekend, sport teams, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of students creating their own discussion topics. Having the freedom to decide what they want to talk about will really allow the students bring forward what they think is important in the text. I know when I was a student if I was able to decide what I was going to talk about in class I would really love walking into class everyday.

    ReplyDelete