Monday, January 24, 2011

My Literacy Profile

I would describe my literary "style" as classic. I love old classic novels as well as the modern and contemporary classics. The Great Gatsby is my absolute favorite book. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith is my second. This book has been deemed a modern classic for its coming-of-age theme. Also Smith's writing is brilliant and creative in my opinion. I am a fan of the novels I will most likely be teaching, such as To Kill A Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye, and The House on Mango Street. Sometimes over the summer when I need a quick and easy read, I read books set up in the same vignette style as The House on Mango Street. They are a nice break from all the reading I do during the semester. My favorite poet is Tennyson, and I especially enjoy his love poetry; it's beautiful! The most recent book I've read was Salman Rushdie's Luna and the Fire of Life, which was unexpected and fantastic. I finished it at the end of break, of course. I always wish that I had more time to read new bestsellers during the semester, but its so hard! I have loved reading ever since I was old enough to hold a book. I hope that I can inspire my students to read and write through the use of classic and contemporary classic novels every single day.

3 comments:

  1. You will be able to offer such great information about the classics, if they are your favorite novels! This could allow you to think of creative ways to teach those who are not interested in reading (since you would presumably know the novels well). Also, I like how you will strive to inspire your students to read and write using different types of classic novels. Coming-of-age novels are an interesting category that I was honestly just introduced to last semester, which is a shame and to me it shows how my high school is so solely focused on the classics, and only the classics. Although I do think that it is fantastic to have your favorite category of books being the classics (because of how it will help you, as mentioned above) I hope to offer my students alternative ways of becoming engaged in literature, because, unfortunately, not all like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your passion for reading! I'm curious how you will inspire or motivate your own students to be avid (and inspired) readers themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed with your reading selection. I can't say that the classics are something I'd pick up on my own, however, this summer I attempted reading "Geckle and Hyde." I couldn't really get into the language, but I eventually got through it and enjoyed it afterwards. I think this will be a great attitude to have in an English classroom because the classics are what is taught most of the time.

    ReplyDelete